"If I had been in another club, I would have probably left," says the player
Sergi Roberto is the outstanding player in FC Barcelona this season. His performance allowed him to join the Spanish national team. From there, he conceded an interview at Sport newspaper.
Did you consider leaving Barça?
- "I thought about it. When you see you don't have minutes you think that soccer is not only in a single team, but we are talking about the team of my life."
- "If I had been in another club, I would have probably left. I'm culer since I was a child and it's really difficult to leave a club you feel part of you. I never gave up."
The season with Tata Martino
- "It was my first year with the first team. Tito had to be the coach; he really trusted in me."
- "After Tito's death, Tata came. It was all new for him and he hardly knew me."
- "I played several matches, but only in the second half. It's good to play ten minutes, but you want to play full matches."
- "People had big expectations on me, but it wasn't impossible due to the lack of minutes."
His attitude on the field
- "You can't be shy. But when I had only ten minutes to play I was afraid of playing badly."
- "I try to be sure when doing passes. But it all changes when you can play match after match."
The opportunity to play in the right-back
- "We said it might not work... but in the end it all went fine."
- "I really like to watch soccer, and I pay attention to all the positions."
- "With my mates, everything is easier. In Barça you always have the ball. The most difficult thing is to defend."
- "I used to celebrate Barça success since I was a child, so now that I'm part of it, so you can imagine what it means..."
- "This season I feel mort part of the success, so I enjoy playing more."