"I had to took liquid out of my knee every day," remembers the former Blaugrana captain
In a conversation with Raúl González reproduced in the newspaper Marca, the former FC Barcelona captain, Carles Puyol, explained his last days as professional footballer.
The last match
- "It was in the preparation for the Copa final against Real Madrid."
- "Bartra had some discomfort and I told Tata Martino I could try to play if he needed me."
- "I had problems on my knee. I finally stayed on the bench and Bartra played the whole match."
The last days
- "After that day, I came to train but I didn't even put on my boots. I had to take liquid out of my knee every day."
- "I couldn't perform as I wanted. But I tried until the last day."
How to assume that
- "At the end you need to accept it."
- "It's not the end I had dreamt about. If I could, I would still be playing, because I wanted to do it until 40 years old!"
A look at his career
- "I look back and I feel happy. I could have never imagined I would live all this, being 15 years in Barça's first-team... that's incredible!"
- "I'm happy. Not about the end, but happy of the rest of my career."