The official presentation of the new Camp Nou project will be held in the coming weeks
Barça announced that Nikken Sekkei + Pascual i Ausió Arquitectes will build the new Camp Nou. After a long day of deliberations, the club announced the winner of the competition for the new stadium construction in a communicate. Here are the first photos of the project:
The Jury of Espai Barça finally chose the winners of the Architecture competition as for who is going to build the new Camp Nou. In the Press Room Ricard Maxenchs of Camp Nou, the winners were announced. Theyr are Nikkel Sekkei + Pascual i Ausió Arquitectes. Their proposal stood out from the others for being open, elegant, serene, timeless, mediterranean and democatric. Their use of space and the disposition of the outside of the stadium will make it easier for people to circulate.
Nikken Sekkei is one of the most important Architecture and Engeneering offices in Asia, with over 100 years of history. They designed the Saitama Super Arena, Niigata's big Swan or the Tokyo Dome, all in Japan. They have an office in Catalonia managed by two architects: Joan Pascual and Ramon Ausió, who have a large experience locally, with projects of residences, offices and hotels, like the Diagonal Zero Hotel or the Jaume I of Terrassa school.
The project in photos
The new Camp Nou from the distance
The entrance to the stands on two separate floors
The team NIKKEN SEKKEI + Pascual i Ausió Arquitectes won over proposals from AECOM + B720 Arquitectes, AFL + Mateo Arquitectura, Arup Sport + Taller d’Arquitectura Ricardo Bofill, BIG + IDOM + BAAS Arquitectes, GENSLER Sport + OAB, HKS + COX + Batlle i Roig Arquitectes, i POPULOUS + Mias Arquitectes + RCR Arquitectes.
The construction is expected to start in the 2017/18 season and to end during the 2021/22 season. What was asked to the candidates was to guarantee everyone would enjoy the show, whatever their seats are and to cover the stands to optimise the quality of the ticket.
Here are the main features of the new Camp Nou project:
- All the seats will be covered and protected from the weather hazard (wind, sun, rain). The cover will be over 47,000 square metres.
- In the New Estadi all the seats will have a perfect view on the pitch, giving a bigger inclination to the first floor of stands. From all seats the whole of the Stadium can be seen, as well as the new screens.
- The scoreboards will be last digital technology, high-resolution with LED-like system.
- The second floor of stands is maintained but accessibility and comfort will be improves
- The capacity will be increased to reach 105,000 seats.
- There will be in each stands seats for disabled people and people with reduced mobility.
- The increased number of seats will enable to partially reduce the waiting list.
- Independant access for the opponent's fans, to avoid conflicts and guarantee the maximum security.