Jacques Ferran motivated the creation of European Cup and Ballon d'Or
Jacques Ferran, a 94-year-old French journalist, motivated the European Cup —the current Champions League— and Ballon d'Or together with Jacques de Ryswick and Gabriel Hanot.
On March 1955 the three suggested UEFA, that had recently been created, to organize an European Championship. The Federation didn't accept and the three 'inventors' decided to do it together with the newspaper L'Équipe. Jacques Goddet, director of the newspaper, collaborated with the idea to motivate sport events and be able to explain it. UEFA finally accepted to lead the competition.
In a talk published at the newspaper La Vanguardia, Ferran admitted tampering in the first editions. Remember that Real Madrid won the first 5 European C
The European Cup
- "The greatest support we had was from Real Madrid president, Santiago Bernabéu. He only asked us to play in Switzerland in order to be able to visit Don Juan [Borbón, the exiled king of Spain]"
- "The first draw was manipulated because the best teams weren't eliminated in the first round."
- "The France Football Ballon d'Or was a commercial resource in order to promote the newspaper."
- "This has turned into something bad and I would prefer it wouldn't exist."
- "In 2010 FIFA took control of the award and it has not been neither more important nor less interesting."
- "When Messi won in 2010, Iniesta or Xavi should have won. And the 2013 edition should have been wono by Ribéry instead of Cristiano."