The player's father insists that "The Barça has a financial issue and we have to understand the club is having a difficult time"
Neymar Da Silva, father of the Barça player, gave a large interview to the journalist Albert Llimós, published in the daily newspaper Ara, in which he talks about the past, the present and the future of the player.
A thousand days for Neymar at Barça
- "Everything that Neymar has conquered, everything he realised is a dream come true for my son."
- "It's the club he wanted to join since he was a little boy and it's being a positive experience."
- "We'll never manage to live an quiet life here, but we're happy."
- [The best day?] "The one of the Champion's League. It's a great story: the boy that dreamt of this club, that loved it, that dreamt of winning the Champion's League with that team, and he was rewarded with a late goal. If we had imagined such a story a few years ago, we wouldn't have made it so good, so perfect."
- "He wouldn't have gone to any other team in Europe wihtout coming first to Barça. Firstly because there was his idol here in Barcelona, Messi. Then, because he wanted to play with that generation of footballers. Thirdly, because he likes the way the team plays football."
- "He has two more years on his contract. People can be relaxed for two years.
- [Will he renew?] "We're now beginning to talk."
- [There is no pre-deal?] "No. We have spent so much time defending us from the accusations directed at him, that thinking about renewing is rushing things."
- "Barça have a financial problem and we have to understand the club is having a difficult time."
- "We're at peace with everything we do with Barça, and I think Barça is too. President Bartomeu can be sure we'll talk in may, and will draw the ideal path that Neymar and Barça can walk together."
- "We have to defend ourselves well (...) so (...) Neymar can be even more happy, even if we are already happy in Barcelona."
- [Real Madrid] "They haven't contacted us. And I'd say they haven't contacted the club either. These are rumours."
3 roosters [Messi, Neymar, Suárez] in the same henhouse
- "The henhouse has to have roosters, right?"
- "We might be living a moment that never happened in the history of football. But thanks to Barça, those three roosters are happy, and the Trident is making the fans from here enjoy, but also people from all around the world."
- "If you work in a good environment, favourable, when you're friends, when you're a family like they are, very united, and it's difficult to break it, it appears in their game."
- "The fact the three of them are happy make us proud, especially as a father, to know that Neymar has arrived to a club like Barça, as he was chosed to be the biggest star, but also for the whole group..."
- "The respect is mutual, the one Neymar has for Messi and Suárez, the two of them have the same for him."
The Ballon d'Or
- "The world of football will say that currently, Neymar, or Messi, or Suárez will win the next Ballon d'Or."
- "He knows his time will come, there is no need to look for it now. He doesn't need it. I prefer him to win the Champion's League this year, which is the dream, than talk about the Ballon d'Or."
- "It is obvious that individual titles are important, but there are always the collective ones in front of them."
Copa América and Olympic Games
- "There is one thing to now: Neymar wants to play it all."
- "He's one of those players, who enjoy being on the pitch, regardless or whether they play against a lesser team or a national team. They love to play."
The so-called Neymar case
- "There is an investigation going on and I hope it ends soon, because the complaint makes no sense. I'm worried about unjust complaints being accepted like this."
- [There is politics?] "I don't know. People don't know for sure."
- "¿Com pot ser que una transferència acceptada per la FIFA, que ho va acceptar tot, ara s’hagi convertit en una cosa il·legal? Si és així, estem acusant la FIFA també".
- "El fitxatge va ser legítim, totalment".
- "The fan that goes to the stadium goes to see a show, to see talent."
- "Every player has his own style, but whoever likes football wants to see players like Messi, Cristiano, Suárez, Iniesta, Busquets...They have to be protected, not threatened."
- "Those players are different, they are an inspiration to other players. It's necessary to have a Messi, a Neymar, a Cristiano, being inspirations because this sport is still electrifying the entire world..."